Caring for Magnetic Car Signs
February 13, 2013
Magnetic car signs are changeable, allowing for a dynamic display on wheels. Include your company logo and colors, or commission our design team to put together attractive magnetic signs for your company vehicles. Magnetic advertising signs are an easy and cost-effective way to represent your company on any vehicle you drive. Their impermanence means that they can easily be transferred from vehicle to vehicle.
As with most things, proper maintenance will ensure a long-lasting magnet. We recommend following these guidelines for storing, applying, and cleaning your magnetic car signs:
Storing Magnetic Car Signs
• When not using your flexible magnetic sign, keep it in a clean, dry place.
• Store your rolled magnetic sign on end with the printed or vinyl side out.
• When storing flat, be sure your magnet is on a level surface. Avoid placing objects on top that could damage the face; do not stack with magnetic sides facing each other.
• Preparing Magnetic-Receptive Surfaces
• Before affixing your magnetic sign to a metal surface, be sure all surface paints, clear coats and waxes are cured (hardened).*(Approximate curing times: paint-90 days; clear coat-60 days; wax-2 days.)
• Clean the metallic surface and the magnet with mild detergent.
• Wipe with a soft cloth or allow to dry.
Applying Magnetic Car Signs
• If possible, affix to a smooth, flat or gently curved metallic surfaces.
• Make sure the entire magnet is flat against the metal surface (i.e., no air pockets).
• If you place the magnet in the wrong position, completely remove the magnet from the surface and reaffix. Do not pull the magnetic sign across the surface, or it may stretch due to the resistance caused by the high magnetic strength.
• Avoid use on horizontal metal surfaces exposed to direct sunlight (such as automobile hoods) or temperatures exceeding 150 degrees F.
• Be aware that long-term use on surfaces frequently exposed to sunlight (such as vehicles) can result in uneven fading of the surface because the magnet-covered area is shielded from ultraviolet rays.
• Avoid use of magnetic signs for vehicles on non-metallic body fillers, simulated wood grain siding and repainted surfaces.
Cleaning Magnetic Car Signs
• To guard against moisture and dirt buildup between the magnet and the metal surface (particularly on outdoor applications), remove the magnet at regular intervals. Clean both the magnet and metal surface with mild detergent; wipe with a soft cloth or allow to air-dry. (For vehicle-mounted signs, remove and clean WEEKLY.)
• To protect fresh clear coat, base coat and/or vinyl surfaces on new cars and trucks, remove magnetic signs DAILY.
Putting your advertisement on wheels with magnetic signs for vehicles ensures that you’ll make more impressions with your business display than you would with static signage. Every time you leave your store location, you’re putting advertising in action. Every time you stop at a red light, you’re making valuable brand impressions.
Proper use and care will extend the life of your magnetic car signs and protect the metallic surface to which it is applied. For a printable PDF of our care instructions, Click Here.
Last Modified: 02-19-2013-11:01:04